Soft Chicken Tacos
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10 med. whole wheat flour tortillas (or gluten free variety)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
In skillet, quickly cook 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips, and onion in oil until chicken is done and onion is tender. Add tomato sauce, garlic salt, salt, and cumin. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes. To serve, place hot meat mixture on heated tortillas and top with choice of fillings. Roll up burrito style or place inside of a taco bowl. Makes 10 servings.
To make taco bowl: place a single shell inside of a ceramic dish to shape and bake in a low heat oven for 10 min.
Filling Choices: Shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced pitted ripe olives, and taco sauce.
Frozen Banana “Ice Cream”
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 tbsp Wowbutter (nut-free peanut butter)
Freeze two bananas. (I freeze them whole then use a paring knife to cut off the peel after they're frozen. You could always chop them up into slices and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Either way works. Just as long as you end up with two frozen, peeled bananas.)
Roughly chop the bananas and place into your food processor. Scrape down the sides with a spoon or rubber spatula after blending for a bit. Add about a tablespoon of Wowbutter, if desired. Continue to blend until smooth, scraping the sides again if necessary.
Serve immediately or freeze for later!
Stovetop Creamy Mac and Cheese
- ½ lb whole wheat pasta (or your fave gluten free variety)
- 3 Tb butter
- 3 Tb flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 1½ cup milk (I used 2%)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1½ cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- ½ cup three cheese blend, shredded (or whatever cheese you have on hand & like)
- In a large pot, bring salted water to boil and cook your noodles.
- Drain noodles and set aside.
- Using the same pot (or a new one if you like to do dishes), melt the butter over medium high heat until bubbly. Whisk in the flour, one tablespoon at a time, making sure to fully cook each addition.
- Cook the flour until it is no longer raw. The mixture (roux) should be thick and pale yellow.
- Add in the milk, while whisking. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens and is creamy.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat and stir in your cheese(s). Stir until fully melted and incorporated.
- Add your drained pasta to the cheese mixture and stir to fully coat.
- Season with more freshly ground black pepper. If you like, add some panko or gluten free breadcrumbs to the top and bake it for a few minutes.
Click the button below to download a list of more braces-friendly recipes!
Do you have a great recipe you’d like to share? Let us know on Facebook.